Bar and restaurant pays homage to building’s shipping heritage
GLASGOW-based Di Maggio’s Group has launched a new bar and restaurant in the city centre.
The Anchor Line occupies a grade A-listed building on St Vincent Place which was once the booking office for Anchor Line ships which sailed between Glasgow and New York.
Di Maggio’s Group directors Mario Gizzi and Tony Conetta spent six months and £1.5 million restoring and refurbishing the property, which is directly opposite the group’s Cafe Andaluz restaurant, ahead of the launch late last month.
The Anchor Line, which comprises a 180-cover restaurant, two private dining rooms and a bar, has drawn inspiration from the building’s heritage.
Original features of the 1907 property, including marble floors, wood panelling, cornicing and an ornate fireplace, have been restored and paired with an opulent interior, by Mark Brunjes’ CM Design, which also worked on Di Maggio’s Amarone restaurant.
The bar area is dominated by a central island bar in black and white marble, and features booth seating, upholstered in an olive green leather, while the restaurant space includes banquette seating, upholstered in a deep red leather, and curved booths in olive green.
Both spaces feature old photographs, tickets, posters and other information relating to Anchor Line ships.
The food and drink offer has also drawn inspiration from the building’s heritage.
The menu majors in steak and seafood with influences from both sides of the Atlantic, while the bar is stocked with a range of premium spirits, including several gins.
“We’re really pleased with it,” Gizzi told SLTN.